Thursday, February 21, 2013

Faux Carriage Doors

My husband and I bought a fixer upper to be closer to his work location.  This house was in seriously rough shape and has consumed a lot of my time in the last year with various projects.  I'm making decent headway and decided to share some of these milestones.

One of the unique qualities about this house is the closets.  First, we have a bunch of them, nine to be exact.  Three of them have sliding closet doors but these are not the uber chic barn doors that appear in modern redos--they are just plain heavy doors.  I love the look of carriage doors and saw several examples online of faux painting for garage doors so I thought, why not a closet door?

I used inspiration from Florida Historic Sheds after finding these great examples of painted doors.  I got out my tape measure and created a template for the sections using a piece of poster board.
After penciling my stencil onto the closet doors I used painter's tape to outline my painting area.

The color choice was thanks to the Oops bin at some Home Improvement store. I try to never pay full price for paint and when you have to paint every surface of a 3 bedroom house it can really add up!  I had already purchased a "carriage" style handle from Hobby Lobby and used the same handle to create a stencil to paint on my faux strap hinges.  I love my finished door and the handle makes the door opening/closing more convenient than the original cups intended for use.

No comments: